With the TAB Adelaide Cup just around the corner, we sat down with seasoned racegoers Daniella Adey and Chris Kontos to talk style and etiquette this cup day.
Style: What are three affordable ways to stay on-trend for less this Adelaide Cup Day?
Daniella: Try and purchase accessories from affordable retail stores like Colette. Colette takes inspiration from fashion trends and iconic designs from past to present. There is so much to choose from, you are guaranteed to find the right pieces to suit.
My other tip would be to review what you already have. Try on possible outfits in your wardrobe before you consider purchasing anything. And if you decide you want something new clothing hire is ALWAYS a great idea. Look super stylish without breaking the bank!
Hat, fascinator or headband how do you choose the perfect piece for Cup Day?
Daniella: I always organise my outfit prior to deciding what head wear I want. Then, I select the style and colour that best compliments my overall look.
What are your top tips to keep yourself looking glam all day long?
Daniella: For me, it’s getting my makeup done professionally the morning of the event. I always find that my makeup will then last all day and I don’t have to worry about any touch ups.
Style: What are your top three fashion trends for Adelaide Cup?
Chris: The Power suit! A tailored coloured suit is the hottest trend in fashion at the moment. Paired back with a high heel pump in a similar tone with a felt hat or head band.
I am also loving an 80’s voluminous sleeve dress!! 80’s is one of the biggest trends for the season. Ensure it’s a cool length, nothing worse than formal long dresses at the races.
Statement designer accessories are also a massive trend for the season. Amazing millinery, shoe and handbag combo will make any outfit pop!!
What are your do’s and don’ts for Adelaide Cup Day?
- DON’T: Don’t try too hard, always plan out your outfits and ensure every element is right, from top to toe!
- DON’T: Don’t buy cheap millinery it’s a big no no! Buy something you can wear again that is a classic. Also ensure you wear felt hats to winter races and straw to summer events.
- DON’T for the men: Ensure you don’t wear a dinner suit to the races. If the blazer has a satin lapel its meant to be worn to a black tie event!
- DO: Always wear comfortable footwear. Race days are long and can be painful especially if you are wearing heels.
- DO: Have fun! Put your phone down and enjoy the day
More men are making a statement on Adelaide Cup Day, how can they incorporate something new into their Adelaide Cup Day look?
Chris: Men are lucky enough to wear suits to the races, so changing up their accessories can reinvent their looks. A new tie, pocket square or a cool pair of designer shoes could bring life to an old classic!
Also wearing a cool hat to the races can bring a vibe to an outfit.
Adelaide Cup is Monday 9th March
Visit Morphettville Racecourse for more details